Save the Dates
East Africa GIC Timeline
- Applications Open- 13th February 2017
- Applications Close – 13th March 2017
- Pitch Day Event – 23rd March 2017
What is needed
- Summary of accomplishments
- An abstract of the project idea
- A video URL of the project idea
- The challenge must be on solving a problem e.g. Climate Change or one of SU Global Grand Challenges. Think of a local problem scalable globally to positively impact a billion people of lives.
- The idea should leverage exponential technology.
SingularityU East Africa Global Impact Challenge
The purpose of the SingularityU East Africa Global Impact Challenge is to foster moonshot innovations and startups that positively impact the lives of people living in the region, with an ability to scale and impact a billion people worldwide in 10 years.
This year, we are ideally looking for applicants who have the skills and passion to develop and launch a startup company around a moonshot idea that addresses climate change, although we will also accept outstanding applicants who have other areas of expertise or choose to innovate in other fields.
We selected the climate change theme because it has consequences for every industry, geographic region, and way of life. Even if you don’t consider yourself a climate change authority or innovator, your skill set can probably help mitigate the effects of climate change. If you’re already passionate about impact or working in the impact space, you can create a moonshot innovation to address this urgent global problem.
We will not require participants to innovate in the climate change space, and welcome people from all disciplines to apply, but this theme will inform the Global Solutions Program curriculum. We are looking for applicants from ANY technology or science discipline because we know a challenge as huge as climate change can only be solved within the convergence of multiple disciplines and exponential technologies.
Application & Assessment
- The challenge is open to residents and citizens in East Africa Countries
- You must be age 21 or older on the first day of the GSP
- Must be fluent in written and spoken English
- Able to participate for the entire GSP17 program
- Applicants selected as finalists will be interviewed by a panel of judges on 24th March 2017
- Degree of solution’s relevance to the theme of the challenge
- The regional relevance in solving the challenge in East Africa
- Feasibility, Viability and Coherence of implementing the idea
- Entrepreneurial and innovative potential, with a focus on technological novelty
- Applicant’s leadership experience and quality, profile, achievements, and potential
The Global Grand Challenges
Singularity University has identified 12 Global Grand Challenges – worldwide problems that are too big to ignore.